Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Leadership Psalm...Psalm 2

This Psalm makes me uneasy.  I'm not sure if it is supposed to, and I'm not sure if it is supposed to bring me comfort.  These 12 verses almost feel like a "nener-nener" kind of story. 

I feel conflicted about this Psalm, and maybe that's a sign that I've fallen off the track.  Maybe I need to get to the root of my unease.  I just don't like the idea of poking our world leaders in the eye with the knowledge that God is laughing at them.  At the same time I don't like the idea that world leaders are spitting on my God.  (or trying to)  I'm not sure what the right answer is here.

Why do the nations conspire against God?  I think it's base human nature.  One of the hardest things about Christianity is the knowledge that you are not the greatest, that you are not in charge and that you have to take orders from someone else.  Being humble, being a servant, being less is not popular in any timeframe in human history.  And I think sometimes, those in power forget where they came from.  That saying about power...Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely...is true.  It takes true power and courage to submit to a higher authority.

Verses 8 and 9 make me uneasy too...maybe it's because I really don't have anyone set against me.  Maybe because I'm not in bondage to a government or people.  I'm going to be honest though, I don't want to own nations...I don't want to own the earth.  I don't want to shatter those who are my enemy (or could be my enemy).  These verses are violent and I'm not sure I'm supposed to be happy about this.  There is a kind of glee in these verses and it makes me uneasy.

Verses 10-12 are largely ignored by the majority of earthly leaders.  Especially here in the US.  I think we have forgotten that He has wrath, I think we have forgotten the He can destroy us in a blink.  I think we have forgotten that we are not the greatest!  It's rare to see a humble leader...namely because humble is no longer something that is looked at with desire. 

Blessed are all who take refuge in Him.  That's my favorite and only comfortable part of this Psalm for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment