Wednesday, September 5, 2012

A Different Variety

The face of a child with Down Syndrome looks kind of fat with squished together, small eyes and little ears.  Yet, when that child smiles I am convinced we have a moment where we can see a glimpse of the face of God. 

We live in a world where "different" is bad.  The word has a negative meaning no matter how you try to use it.  No one wants to be different for fear of being cast out of good company.

I have a boy with glasses.  He has been called different and he has been picked on for it.  "Four-eyes", "blind boy", ect.  He has had his glasses taken from him and he has felt different. 

Where does this come from?  Where do children learn to pick on and see "different" instead of seeing "variety"?  They learn it from us. 

Note that I said "us".  I did not say you, because I too am guilty of teaching my children things I should not.  I have difficulty with the elderly, so I tend to stay away from them.  I just don't know what to say and I know I do not have the patience to listen to them.  (see...I did it right there...showed impatience for someone "different")  Thank God my husband is the polar opposite and has showed me the light.  He has also shown my children the light too.

What happened to "Variety is the spice of life"?  Why are we so worried about being like everyone else?  How dull!!  To look like everyone, to think and act and sound like everyone.  UGH!  Why??  I know why:  fear.  We fear being the one who stands out.  I have proof of this.  My oldest daughter got made fun of ONCE and that was all it took for her to become the plainest of wallflowers.  She went from starting her own fashion trends and trying new hairstyles, to being a lemming.  When I figured that out, I wept. 

So, you who read this, I am begging you:  watch your words, your actions, your fears, your loves and your hates.  You have little eyes upon you.  They see what you do and they think it must be ok.  We are continuing a terrible cycle when we teach our children that "different" is bad. 

I challenge you to remove that word from your vocabulary.  Use the word variety in its place.  See what a difference it makes not only to the people around you, but to yourself as well. 

Enjoy the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment